Wednesday, July 8, 2015

After M*A*S*H

I have to admit that one of my favorite shows was M*A*S*H.  Even before I joined the army, I laughed, and at times, cried at the antics victories and defeats of the 4077th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital.  When Radar announced the death of Henry Blake, I cried.  When Major Frank "Ferret Face"Burns was mistaken for a dead body I laughed uproariously.  Captain Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce had a way to reach into me and catalyze complex emotions that I couldn't explain.  

I wanted to be an Army doctor because of M*A*S*H.  Failing that, I became a medic, and let me tell you, they captured the essence of the US Army Medical Corps.  The antics, the drama, and the personalities of the 4077th, might as well have been ripped right from my experiences in the Army.  I've seen every single episode of M*A*S*H. 

What I was not expecting was to run across After M*A*S*H.  Someone posted the pilot episode to a debate board I occasionally haunt.  It was surprising.  I laughed, but there were a lot of issues that somehow seem ripped right from today.  Post Traumatic Stress, terrible VA managers, stickler administrators, even a Korean War Veteran that wanted to commit suicide.  Tell me what you think about it.  Personally I wish I could find a higher quality video, and I wish that the show had been given more than one season, but. . . if wishes were fishes. 



Tell me what you think.  Be on the lookout for Arliss Howard, the actor that played Private "Cowboy" Parker in Full Metal Jacket. 

No comments: